[Incubation] At My Heels: Seapony / Catwalk / Beets / Eternal Summers - 2011-05-29 - Hemlock Tavern SF

the happy one the at atmyheels.com
Sun Jun 19 13:51:23 PDT 2011

Latest AMH:

http://www.atmyheels.com/2011/06/seapony-catwalk-beets-eternal-summers.html

I know I put up the Seapony link already, and judging on the response many
of you were eager to hear it, and deservedly so...stay tuned, as thanks to
the generosity of Steve Robinson, I'll be upping more of them over the next
couple of days.

Here were the other acts that night.  I decided to keep the verbiage on the
blog a minimum, and just put up the songs and links to video myself and/or
others have recorded.

But I'm making some notes here.

Catwalk is another really good Captured Tracks groop led by Nick Hessler.
Here, they're playing songs off their forthcoming album, which will be a
must-buy...amusing bit, their drummer lost a contact lens and was looking
for it after their show.  They have surprising jazzy bits in a couple of
songs.  Other blogs have said they're a more evolved Beach Fossils with pop
sensibilities, but I think Catwalk have been around longer than those guys.

The Beets.  Both of us didn't like these guys one bit at the time, and were
amused they spent more time hanging their banners than soundchecking...but
it looks like most of the crowd was there to check these guys out, and if
you dig Jonathan Richman and other sorts of savant-garage type sounds, these
guys are probably more up your alley.  The Terry Malts guys were here as
well, I can see how those guys like them, and sent Corey and Phil a link to
this recording, along with my recording of them at the Hemlock from 6/2
(that's coming up soon as well).

Listening back to this...some of it is not so bad...

Eternal Summers. I actually hadn't heard anything from this group before
this show, but what I caught sounded pretty good.

Set marred by vocalist having a bad cold, she had to cut the set a bit
short.  As much as they hate it, they are another beachy-sounding groop
(BSD), but with a bit less uniformity, as some of their songs are really
fast-paced, and others slow it down a couple of notches, the slow ones
suffered due to vocalist Nicole's malady. Not sure if Tom's listened to what
he bought yet, but hoprefully somebody can help me ID tracks.

-Sam