[Incubation] Melted Toys / Craft Spells / Beach Fossils at Slim's show last night (gig review)

Sam Habash the at atmyheels.com
Fri May 6 13:51:09 PDT 2011

Looks like this will be the first message I'll be sending to this new
mailing list, which is really for those of you interested in following my
new music exploits and for sharing recommendations...

This was Great show...yet another of a long list of them over the past few
months.  And some firsts, which I'll mention.

I just added a few more releases to my growing Captured Tracks collection...

But holy jeez, the Melted Toys Washed and Dried record on Underwater
Peoples, which I felt compelled to buy after seeing them play, is just
amazing!  And they're another group from San Francisco.  Did somebody spike
our water or something, what's going on?

Tom and I arrived about 5-10 minutes late and saw Melted Toys already
playing, we missed out on what we decided was our favorite song by them
(Come On).  So our recordings will only have a portion of the song.
Hopefully somebody else was documenting and I can do some blend magic.  It
was three guys and an Apple iDevice of some sort (probably an iPhone) on
drum machine, which was a first for me...

The best vibe for me was Craft Spells' set.  Justin Paul Vallesteros and
company were really, really good.  "After The Moment" is probably my
favorite of theirs.  Talked to  both Justin and Dustin of Beach Fossils
(whom I've embarrassingly called "Justin", super confusing, probably amuses
them to no end) after the show, and told them what we were up to in terms of
recording the point...Justin of Craft Spells gave me the group email
address, so will try to get something to him at some point...

Beach Fossils...heard that their Echoplex show was just amazing...

...should have done my research, apparently I'm not the first person to be
shocked<http://www.bestnewbands.com/shows/item/1496-surf-rock-riot-with-beach-fossils-at-music-hall-of-williamsburg>when
a PIT formed for the last few songs...it grew to encompass nearly all
the front.  Tom was really annoyed by it, since it seemed to indicate a bit
of a bad element, since it seemed to be a bunch of drunk asshole idiots just
wanting to inflict damage for the hell of it because they read this is what
goes on at one of their shows... I iPhoned a couple of tracks the encore and
recorded the chaos for posterity, but I'm sure others have before....I found
myself drawn to gaping at new androgyne guitarist Tom Gardner, wearing the
stunningly incongruous combination of Black Sabbath shirt, pressed pants,
and pink cap<http://www.flickr.com/photos/theowlmag/5692807198/in/photostream/lightbox/>....
(found a photo on Fickr, not the greatest one to see it, follow the link to
see it)

Also, seems that bassist John Pena has a history of jettisoning his
instrument <http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2010/07/the_beach_fossi.php>,
his apparently-defective bass, instead of being chucked into the East River
and causing quite a commontion on the lame-ass Brooklyn Vegan
site<http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2010/07/beach_fossils_t_2.html>(I'm
sure they've got their yucks calling Payseur "Poseur") was given away
to a female fan near the front, lucky ducky!  Giving away your
instrument...is a first for me.

Spinning CT67 (their s/t CD) currently...

--Sam